Monday, September 10, 2012

Hall Ball and Recovery Day

Hiyaa kids!
This week in the life of Kylie and Australia, we will be talking about Hall Ball and Recovery Day! Hall Ball is a formal dinner and dance kind of like prom that my dorm, Edwards Hall, has each year. This year it was the 40th year celebration. Everyone gets all dressed up in their fancy attire and head to the venue which was at a very nice hotel. We got champagne upon arrival. There was a nice meal and tons of dancing. It was such a fun event! I felt like I was at my high school prom all over again. haha

The group!

Arrival to the Ball!

Besties all dressed up!


Champagne!

I don't know what I'd do without her! <3
 
The day after Hall Ball, the dorm has an event called Recovery day. It is just a fun day to hang out by the pool, have some drinks, dance to the awesome music the DJ was playing which just so happened to be students of TEDs, and just relax. They had icees, a blow up obstacle course, and face painting! Amy, Grace, and I all got our faces painted. I felt like a little kid again! hehe We danced the day away...it was so fun!! So many people got thrown in the pool. Luckily, I was not one of those people chosen! Fewf!! Everyone just hung out all day and into the night! Super chill...nothing like anything I have done in the US.
 
 
 
Face painting!

The gang!

Recovery Day!

Steven with the girls!

Jimmy! :D

The girls!

Kimmy and Xixi (photographer/ sweetheart)  in my sunglasses!



Also, this past week, Kim and I are free on Tuesday and Wednesday! We have made it a ritual to head into town, do some exploring, and grab some yummy food or something. This week we got to tan at the beach! The weather was perfect...I even got a little tan line! YAY!!! There is a cute little shop in the building behind us in the photo with drinks and food and such. We got a yummy milkshake! It was heaps good! We went to Nobbys beach! The sand is beautiful and soft. The water was cold so we didn't go swimming, but oh boy do I love the beach! I could so get used to living here..right by the beach!! Ugh that would be the life!! It would be like my life long goal of being a beach bum...just maybe in a house rather than a tent...being able to wake up to the waves crashing on the beach! How awesome would that be?!


 
 
 
Lately, I have been talking to a few friends back home. They have been asking all about Australia and how it all works. I love sharing what I have learned with y'all! And I can't wait to share it with my mom aka mum (Australian spelling), Marli (my sister), and my grandma! They will be heading over the big blue to see me in twoish short weeks! We will be adventuring all over! They want to see Sydney, Newcastle, and I think we will be heading up to Cairns to snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef!! AHHHHH it has soo been one of my dreams to see the reef in person! You have no idea how excited I am to be able to do that!! Anyways, back to talking to friends back home...a few of them met an Australian and they said they were just mesmerized by his accent. I realized that I have already gotten so used to it! I forgot how much I used to be like them! I skyped one of my really good friends Brad and he said that I'm starting to say words different and I'm catching on to the accent, but I don't hear it! haha I know I'm picking up on the slang though! woohoo!
 
Another thing I have noticed is that they have some weird food and candy! Kim, Steven, and I ran to the shops the other day. Kim and I were extremely entertained by the types of candy they had and the flavor of chips available. They eat gummie babies....like gummie bears...but they are BABIES!!!!! How weird is that?! Kim and I went on forever with jokes! They have chip flavoring like honey baked ham, and other odd meat flavors. Nothing like I have ever seen in the US. Oh and instead of sour cream and onion, they call them sour cream and chive. I have no idea why I find that interesting, but I do! haha
 
Well that is all I have for you today...I look forward to reading your comments! :D

1 comment: