Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Outdoor Adventure...

Hey!
This past weekend a group of my friends and I had the brilliant idea to go camping! And oh was it an adventure to say the least. We drove an hour north of Newcastle to the Myall Lakes National Park. It was a beautiful park right on the beach. Once we actually got to the park, we spent about an hour driving around to try and find the perfect parking spot. Angus, one of the drivers, decided it was called "campsite shopping". Finally, we found the perfect spot. It was across the way to the beach, but right on the lake side. We had a few animal friends come snooping around also. We had a few ducks, and a wild turkey. Yes, I stood on the wooden poles that were in the ground because of the scary birds. (For those of you that don't know, I HATE birds.) But I did see one of my first Kookaburras which was cool. Anyways, we started unloading the car and setting up camp. We opened the tent and realized there was no actual tent inside...it was just the rain cover. :/ So one group went into town to look for a tent. Meanwhile, the rest of the kids that stayed behind, made and fire and attempted to make some kind of cover since there were scary black clouds rolling in. When the others got back, they were only able to find a tarp. So we all jumped in and tried to come up with a tent like structure. Surprisingly, we succeeded! Good thing we brought a few engineering majors with us! haha Camp set up was complete and the entertainment began. We hung out and enjoyed each other's company. As soon as we started cooking the sausages, it started raining. Perfect timing, hey?! Loick, Kevin and I stayed out in the rain and made sure dinner wasn't ruined. Thankfully, it only rained for a few minutes. The group enjoyed some delicious barbecued sausages. We sat around the campfire told stories, listened to music, and even made a trip to the beach. Since we weren't around all of the city lights, I finally got to see the beautiful starry sky of Australia. It was the coolest thing of the night, being able to sit on the beach and look up at the night sky. I was in heaven. The next morning we went to the beach one last time. It was a bit too windy to lay out and tan. So, Edgar, Loick, Angus, and I went on an adventure to the sandy hills right on the beach. It was like a scene straight out of a movie. I felt like it was a reality check like hey in case you forgot, you are in Australia! I felt like I should have pinched myself as if I was in a dream. I got some great photos of the area though. We left and headed back to TEDs. It was definitely a weekend for the books. And it must have been thrilling enough that the group wants to plan another weekend! Ahhhh Hopefully we will bring a proper tent next time. ha

Finding out that we didn't have a tent...

"Rain cover"

Edgar keeping the fire going.

Kim and I in the wilderness...

The pole I stood on when the birds came...:/

The gang (sadly I had to take 1 for the team and not be in the photo...)

Wild Turkey

My reality check moment

Photo for my mom!

Kookaburra!

Lake!

Make shift tent
This coming weekend I will be heading to my first music festival called Fat as Butter! I am very excited. There will be a few American groups there that I know! Then I will be heading to Sydney to meet up with some friends then my family!! :D We will be traveling around Sydney, Cairns, and Newcastle. Can't wait to see them. Keep checking for more posts! Thanks for reading guys! <3

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Kylie...this post made my evening. I sat at my desk and literally, LOL. It looks like you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy your Powell Girl adventure. Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete