Monday, October 22, 2012

A weekend on the farm!

A group of the girls and I drove up to Laura's farm for a night this weekend. It was so pretty! There were tons of hills with cows and horses everywhere. There were even heaps of wild kangaroos everywhere! The drive was interesting. Usually in the US, there is a highway that will take you where you need to go with no stops really in smaller towns. On our drive, there wasn't really a highway. There were a few parts that the speed limit was higher, but then as soon as we hit a town it slowed down. I think we drove through at least 4 smaller towns on our way to Laura's. Wallabadah is the area that Laura's house is located, but the closest larger town is Tamworth. As we got closer to Laura's, you saw heaps of crops and huge open fields. Her house is so cute. I felt like I was in a country movie driving up the road to her house. It was all dirt and had a little fence out front of the entry. We passed the hay barn on the way up the her house which had a cute white fence with grass all around and a tennis court. Coco, her chocolate lab, was there to greet us, so fun to have a dog around to play with. Made me miss my Peanut!

We got our boots on and headed out in the ute to see the land. Fun fact: they call rain boots or work boots, gum boots. Laura drove us all over her family's land. The house and land were her grandparents, but her parents took it over. There were gates that kept the cattle in a certain paddock so one of us had to be the gate girl every time. Laura showed us her two cows that she raised from a baby calf, Speckles and Button. Apparently, they didn't like me much because they kept running away from me. :( We drove around some more of her land. It was absolutely gorgeous. We got some great photos! Laura's mom made her favorite meal for dinner, pesto and pasta. It was so amazing to finally have a home-cooked meal!

We were then off to our friend Angela's birthday party. She only lives about 25 minutes away. It was already dark and I was sitting shotgun in the car. Laura looked at me and said "Kylie, you are on kangaroo watch!" I was in shock! I have never heard of that in my life! It was pretty funny. But kangaroos are like rats or deer kind of a pest in the country. They eat the crops and jump out in front of cars. They apparently make huge dents in the cars. It was a moment I will not forget. The party was fun. It was outside with a bonfire and music. Everyone had a blast.

The next morning we had pancakes and bacon at Laura's. We went on a second adventure around the land. We got some hay and fed the cows! So cool! Her family was so nice. Her dad even made us a cappuccino for brekky! It was then back to TEDs. Such an awesome weekend! This coming weekend Kim, Amy, Grace, Steven and I will be heading to Coff's Harbor to visit Steven's house and family and to finally see the Big Banana! :D

Down the road from Laura's
Driving around the land!

Me with the cows!

Coco!

Riding in the back of the ute!

Angus- Emily- Me- Edgar

Us being cowgirls!

Me- Amy- Grace-Laura

Feeding the cows!

Amy and I being silly!

Gum boots!

Cows in the front yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment