Monday, October 15, 2012

Island Paradise and the Coral Sea!

From Cairns, we took a ferry over to Fitzroy Island. It was an hour trip through the ocean. It was such a pretty ride. This island has one resort on it and that is it! It is the perfect secluded get away vacation. We checked into our rooms which were awesome except for the fact that the bathroom had one very small light that still didn't make the bathroom bright. It was like a cave. It was pretty funny. We got some lunch then explored the island a bit. There were a few trails that you could walk. We only did the short ones though that led us to a secret garden and another that took us to Nudey Beach. Don't worry, it wasn't actually a nude beach, but it was beautiful! All of the beaches on the island were coral beaches. There were only a few patches of sand. It was one of the neatest things I've ever seen. The water was clear blue and pretty warm. I got a few good swims in. There were paddle boards and kayakes to rents, but we all just laid by the beach or pool and sun bathed. It was kind of rainy on and off the whole time we were there so we had to plan accordingly. We splurged and got pina coladas laying by the pool one day which was fantastic!

The last day on the island, we woke up early and went on an excursion out to the Great Barrier Reef! The water was extremely choppy, but we made it though. What was neat about the trip was if you wanted to scuba dive for the first time and didn't have any training, you could! Yes people, I went scuba diving for the first time at the Great Barrier Reef! Definitely one of the coolest things I have ever done. I saw so many neat things like a huge clam, tons of sea cucumbers, and tons of colorful fish! I even found Nemo! If I could have, my jaw would have been dropped. But then it would have filled with water...not good! We headed back to Cairns! Marli and I hit the town for drink with some friends we made on the boat! Then it's off to Newcastle in the morning!

Marli and I

Our resort on Fitzroy!

Marli and I being silly

Secret Garden hike!

Coral Beach

Out at Nudey Beach

Going snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef

Heading back to Cairns

Our friend Sam from the boat!

Marli and I about to head out to the reef

Me right before my first dive!

No comments:

Post a Comment