Monday, October 22, 2012

Visit to the Library plus some classes!

Hi!




The Auchmuty Library
Me reading our large history book!
So this past week was hectic with heaps of homework and assignments to be turned in. Kim and I are in the same history class, HIST 1052 aka Australia and the World. We had a paper due so we decided to head to the library. I'm not a huge fan of it. It kind of creeps me out for some reason. However, we needed to check out a few books for the essay. Before we could get serious, I had to document the trip.



Drinking my Long Black
Kim being silly!
The supplies

 
 
Since I haven't told you about classes yet... here it goes! I am in four classes: CMNS 3310- Communication, Creativity, and Cultural Production, CMNS 3510- Advanced Public Relations, HIST 1052- Australia and the World, and FMCS 3100, Digital Culture. Each class has a lecture period for an hour a week. They also have a tutorial section for either 1 hour or 2 hours depending on the class once a week.
 
On Mondays, I have my history class. The lecture is from 12-1pm and the tutorial is from 3-4pm. The teacher was not my favorite. I couldn't understand him at times with his accent and how fast he talked. The lecture was pretty much like class back home with him working off of a PowerPoint. The tutorials were a bit different. I've never had a tutorial type of class so it was interesting being in one. For history each student was required to start the class discussion a week of the semester based on questions he gave us. That wasn't always the most fun part. Our teacher was very picky on the information and since there were a decent amount of international students in the class, he picked on us every time there was something about our country. So needless to say Kim and I got picked on a lot to talk about the United States history, which I haven't taken in years!! He did make us feel like he wasn't the biggest fan of America so Kim and I tried to keep quiet during tutorial time. Eeek!
 
On Tuesdays, I have NO class! haha It is really nice not having class one day during the middle of the week. I would usually catch up on homework or Kim and I would roam around Newcastle so that we could get off campus.
 
On Wednesdays, I just have my Creativity lecture for one hour 12-1pm. The lecture set up is the same as history just a PowerPoint with highlighted points. Our teacher for this class is very monotone and hard to pay attention to. On the bright side, I met an older woman on the first day of class that helped me out a lot with things around campus and such. She also showed me where the best chi lattes are....and yes they are the best!
 
On Thursdays, I have my Advanced Public Relations lecture at 8am which is a pain. However, the school has a program that records the lectures with the PowerPoint that they put onto the Blackboard site. I usually watch that later on in the day before the tutorial. I have my creativity tutorial at 9am for two hours. This class is usually pretty interesting since we talk about things that I can relate to like blogging, TV shows, websites, and art. The tutorial teacher is a sweat heart too. She's very nice and has helped out a lot also. After that tutorial, I have a four hour break to get lunch, watch my PR lecture, and prepare for the next tutorial for the day. At 3pm, I have my advanced PR tutorial. I like this class and the people in it. They were all very welcoming of me being international and all. They loved to hear about the different TV shows and such like Keeping up the the Kardashians. The girls in the class are obsessed with it. The teacher for this class is a bit odd. He definitely knows his public relations, but is an interesting character to say the least, but still a good class.
 
On Fridays, I am free to do what I want. I have no class, but I usually do my digital culture class which is online. Every week, we were responsible to read through the lecture and the readings assigned then post about them online. This class was fun to participate in. It was all about Facebook, blogging, Youtube, and a bunch more online things that people use everyday so it was really easy to connect with. I would tell you about the teacher, but I've only ever received emails from her. ha She seems nice though.
 
That is the basic week in the life of Kylie here at the University of Australia. Stay tuned for some more information! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment